To set up a Categorical Bubble Chart with the View Manager, follow these steps:help
- Open your graph file (.slg) and the Open View Dialog will pop up. Select “Cartesian Chart” as view type on the left-hand side of the Open View Dialog and “categorical chart” as default view template. In contrast to XY Charts, the horizontal axis of a Categorical Chart represents categorical attribute values (i.e. name, id…) rather than a numerical scale (as in the XY chart).
In the View Settings, you can select your preferred chart kind (i.e. Bubble chart), the data set you would like to plot (in the shown example, we would like the costs of all part nodes), the category (which will be assigned to the horizontal axis) and the value (which will be assigned to the vertical axis). In our example, we set the unique categorical part attribute “id” as Category for the X axis and select the part attribute cost as “Value” in order to visualize the part cost. For this chart additionally set the value for the attribute Bubble Size to map a attribute to the visualized bubble size.
- Select “Bubble plot” in the View Manager. Thus you find the modifiable data and view properties in the properties pad. Also, you can enrich your chart by new data by adding node/ edge series in the View Manager. If you would like to highlight one certain bubble, just select it directly in the chart. The properties will be shown in the properties pad.
- Adapt the properties of the selected series in the Properties Pad. Have a look at the table below for a dsecription of all available properties.
- Afterwards click into the canvas and customize it by using the Properties Pad again. Thus, you can set chart titles or adapt your axis properties. Have a look at the table below for a description of all available properties.
- As soon as you are happy with your customized view, you can save the settings by extracting a view template. Thus, you can reuse it for any graph file. You find your saved view templates under “My View Templates in the Open View Dialog.
Available data and view properties:
|Graph Elements||Property Name||Description|
|Canvas||Horizontal Axis Label Fit Mode||Defines, how the horizontal axis text is displayed.|
|Canvas||Horizontal Axis||Defines how this axis shall be scaled, i.e. Linear, Categorical, DateTimeContinuousAxis|
|Canvas||Horizontal Axis Smart Labels On||Use smart labels to avoid overlapping axis labels|
|Canvas||Vertical Axis Smart Labels On||Use smart labels to avoid overlapping axis labels|
|Canvas||Show Track Ball||Enables the trackball to quickly extract all relevant data while hovering over graph elements|
|Canvas||Title||Defines the title of the chart|
|Canvas||Vertical Axis||Defines how this axis shall be scaled, i.e. Linear, Categorical, DateTimeContinuousAxis|
|Node, Edge||Outline Color||Defines the margin color of the node or the bubble/ The color of the edge|
|Node, Edge||Label Text||Defines the label text|
|Node, Edge||Outline Thickness||Defines the margin size of the node or the bubble/ the thickness of the edge|
|Node, Edge||Tooltip||Defines the text which is showed while hovering over the element with the mouse|
|Nodes, Edges||Bubble Size||Defines the attribute which the bubble size is related to|
|Nodes, Edges||Bubble Size Selector||Klick on the "..." button to map a constant value (relative or absolute) to the bubble size, to modify the reference or to use a converter|
|Nodes, Edges||Value||Defines which attribute is shown on the y-axis|
|Nodes, Edges||Category||Defines which attribute is shown on the x-axis|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Vertical Axis Title||Defines the title of the y-axis|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Sort direction||Defines whether the elements are sorted descending or ascending|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Color||Defines the color of the visualized elements|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Legend Title||Defines the title of the chart legend|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Show Labels||Defines whether labels are shown or hidden|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Horizontal Axis Title||Defines the title of the x-axis|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Sort by||Defines an attribute by which the elements are sorted|