To customize a Categorical Line Chart, follow these steps:
- Open your graph file (.slg) and the Open View Dialog will pop up. Select “Cartesian Chart” as view type on the left-hand side of the Open View Dialog and “categorical chart” as default view template. In contrast to XY Charts, the horizontal axis of a Categorical Chart represents categorical attribute values (i.e. name, id…) rather than a numerical scale (as in the XY chart).
In the View Settings, you can select your preferred chart kind (i.e. Line chart), the data set you would like to plot (in the shown example, we would like the costs of all part nodes), the category (which will be assigned to the horizontal axis) and the value (which will be assigned to the vertical axis). In our example, we set the unique categorical part attribute “id” as Category for the X axis and select the part attribute cost as “Value” in order to visualize the part cost.
- Select “Line plot” in the View Manager Pad. Thereupon, you find all adjustable data and view properties in the properties pad.
- Go to the Properties Pad and adjust the properties by choosing from drop downs, entering text or editing boxes. You can have a detailed view of each property by clicking on the “…” button. A list of all available properties can be found in the table below.
- Click on the canvas to set a chart title or to modify your axis attributes in the properties pad.
- As soon as you are happy with your customized view, you can save the settings by extracting a view template. Thus, you can reuse it for any graph file. You find your saved view templates under “My View Templates in the Open View Dialog.
Available data and view properties:
|Graph Elements||Property Name||Description|
|Canvas||Horizontal Axis Label Fit Mode||Defines, how the horizontal axis text is displayed.|
|Canvas||Horizontal Axis Smart Labels On||Use smart labels to avoid overlapping axis labels|
|Canvas||Vertical Axis Smart Labels On||Use smart labels to avoid overlapping axis labels|
|Canvas||Show Track Ball||Enables the trackball to quickly extract all relevant data while hovering over graph elements|
|Canvas||Horizontal Axis||Defines how this axis shall be scaled, i.e. Linear, Categorical, DateTimeContinuousAxis|
|Canvas||Vertical Axis||Defines how this axis shall be scaled, i.e. Linear, Categorical, DateTimeContinuousAxis|
|Canvas||Title||Defines the title of the chart|
|Node, Edge||Label Text||Defines the label text|
|Node, Edge||Tooltip||Defines the text which is showed while hovering over the element with the mouse|
|Nodes, Edges||Category||Defines which attribute is shown on the x-axis|
|Nodes, Edges||Value||Defines which attribute is shown on the y-axis|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Vertical Axis Title||Defines the title of the y-axis|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Show Labels||Defines whether labels are shown or hidden|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Sort direction||Defines whether the elements are sorted descending or ascending|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Sort by||Defines an attribute by which the elements are sorted|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Color||Defines the color of the visualized elements|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Horizontal Axis Title||Defines the title of the x-axis|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Legend Title||Defines the title of the chart legend|