XY charts offer the possibility to plot data in a 2D portfolio while each axis is assigned to a numerical attribute (i.e. cost, weight, number etc.). Thus, in an XY-Chart you can visualize graph elements (nodes or edges) as data points with an x and y position depending on two numerical attribute values. You can even include a third attribute value by selecting the Chart kind “Bubble Chart” and map the third value to the bubble size.
In order to customize an XY Scatter Bubble Chart follow these steps:
- Open your graph file (.slg) and the Open View Dialog will pop up. Select “Cartesian Chart” as view type on the left-hand side of the Open View Dialog and “XY chart” as default view template. In contrast to Categorical Charts, the horizontal axis of an XY Chart represents continuous attribute values (i.e. cost, time…) rather than a categorical scale (as in the Categorical chart).
In the View Settings, you can select your preferred chart kind (i.e. ScatterBubble), the data set you would like to plot (in the shown example, we would like to plot the costs of all part nodes and their profit), the x-value (which will be assigned to the horizontal axis) and the y-value (which will be assigned to the vertical axis). In our example, we set the attribute “profit” as value for the X -axis and select the part attribute cost as value for the Y-Axis in order to visualize the part cost. Additionally, we set the sales price as the attribute, which will be referenced to the bubble size.
- Select “ScatterBubble plot” in the View Manager Pad. After doing this, the adjustable data and view properties are shown in the properties pad.
- Go to the Properties Pad and adjust the properties by choosing from drop downs, entering text or editing boxes. You can have a detailed view of each property by clicking on the “…” button. A list of all available properties can be found in the table below.
- Click on the canvas to set a chart title or to modify your axis attributes (i.e. set a logarithmic scale) in the properties pad.
- As soon as you are happy with your customized view, you can save the settings by extracting a view template. Thus, you can reuse it for any graph file. You find your saved view templates under “My View Templates in the Open View Dialog.
Available data and view properties:
|Graph Elements||Property Name||Description|
|Canvas||Horizontal Axis Label Fit Mode||Defines, how the horizontal axis text is displayed.|
|Canvas||Vertical Axis||Defines how this axis shall be scaled, i.e. Linear, Categorical, DateTimeContinuousAxis|
|Canvas||Vertical Axis Smart Labels On||Use smart labels to avoid overlapping axis labels|
|Canvas||Show Track Ball||Enables the trackball to quickly extract all relevant data while hovering over graph elements|
|Canvas||Horizontal Axis||Defines how this axis shall be scaled, i.e. Linear, Categorical, DateTimeContinuousAxis|
|Canvas||Horizontal Axis Smart Labels On||Use smart labels to avoid overlapping axis labels|
|Node, Edge||Outline Thickness||Defines the margin size of the node or the bubble/ the thickness of the edge|
|Node, Edge||X Value||Defines the attribute for the X-Value|
|Node, Edge||Outline Color||Defines the margin color of the node or the bubble/ The color of the edge|
|Node, Edge||Tooltip||Defines the text which is showed while hovering over the element with the mouse|
|Node, Edge||Label Text||Defines the label text|
|Node, Edge||Y Value||Defines the attribute for the Y Value|
|Nodes, Edges||Bubble Size||Defines the attribute which the bubble size is related to|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Color||Defines the color of the visualized elements|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Legend Title||Defines the title of the chart legend|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Show Labels||Defines whether labels are shown or hidden|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Horizontal Axis Title||Defines the title of the x-axis|
|Nodes, Edges, Legend||Vertical Axis Title||Defines the title of the y-axis|